Tuesday 3 June 2008

Blast From The Past: Part 1

OK, I can't help myself. I've been searching through my e-mails re-reading the messages I have sent out about Barack, and I just had to share a couple things with you.

This is the first e-mail I ever sent about the campaign in which I contacted all my personal Democrats Abroad contacts to tell them of my support for Barack and why (and letting them know that Michelle Obama is coming to London for an event).

The e-mail is dated September 17, 2007.

I still stand by everything I say here:

Dear Friends,

Like all of you, I've been following the Democratic Primary race extremely closely. I'm thrilled to see that we have so many great candidates in the race, and I can see real strengths in almost all of them. But I think I lot of you know that I gave my heart away early in the race to the Senator from Illinois. However, until today, I've hesitated to get heavily involved in his campaign directly - I'm a loyal Democrat and primaries sometimes make me uncomfortable. I don't like to see my people attacking each other.

But Barack Obama surprised me. He's run a smart, positive campaign that has carved out a new vision for America's place in the world. It's the sort of campaign that I really want to be involved in - and I am not impressed by the pundits who seem to think the race is over before it's even started. This time around I want us to actually nominate the most electable person available to us, and while she has my respect and admiration, I do not believe the Senator from New York is that person.

I'd love to talk to you all a bit more about it - but in the meantime I wanted to give you a heads up on what I think is a really great opportunity for those of us overseas to get a taste of what is going on back home. Michelle Obama is coming to London to raise money and speak to supporters on October 15.

As you may know, Michelle is an amazing woman - with a very successful career of her own - and a terrific public speaker who has a very human and interesting story to tell about her husband's campaign.

You can read more about her here:

http://www.barackobama.com/about/michelle_obama/

[further event information removed]

If you would prefer not to receive any more of these types of e-mails, please do let me know and I'll make sure you are taken off my list. On the other hand, if you know of any other Obama supporters (US voters only please!) in the UK, please feel free to forward this message on to them - or let me know who they are and I'll get in touch.

This is already the most exciting election of our lifetime - and it's still 14 months away! Look forward to working with you all to ensure a Democratic White House in 2008.

With kind regards,

Karin

No comments: