Monday 12 January 2009

The Obamas Circa 1996



Wow. Here's an interview with Barack and Michelle back in 1996 - that's the year I graduated from College, Clinton was running for re-election and Barack had yet to serve in elected office. The whole thing is very striking, especially these painfully honest words from Michelle:

There is a strong possibility that Barack will pursue a political career, although it’s unclear. There is a little tension with that. I’m very wary of politics. I think he’s too much of a good guy for the kind of brutality, the skepticism.

When you are involved in politics, your life is an open book, and people can come in who don’t necessarily have good intent. I’m pretty private, and like to surround myself with people that I trust and love.


I have to tell you that on the one occassion I was lucky enough to meet and talk with Michelle, we had a conversation along very similar lines - she's just a very honest, straightforward person. Heaven help her.

No comments: