Thursday 21 May 2009

The Way I Live Now...

Every once in a while I watch something like this cool video on urban design...



And I get insufferably smug. Because, yes - this is how I live. In a small row house in a cozy part of East London, with shops, restaurants, schools, libraries, postal services and fitness facilities all an easy walk away. Plus, when I do feel like getting out of the area I've got the Underground, frequent buses, and overground trains all in easy reach. I haven't owned a car since High School and, although it's not for everyone, I really don't feel like this lifestyle in any way a hardship that I endure as some sort of self-sacrificing environmental penance. I like it. It's pretty low stress (I love that I never have to worry about parking), safe (motor vehicle accidents are the 3rd most likely cause of death for folks my age), and healthier (I do a lot of walking).

I grew up on a cul-de-sac. It was nice there, but I'd never go back to it.

1 comment:

christine said...

If you ever get low on ideas for posting---as an American living in London I've always wondered what would be the equivalent of the parties from the US? Are conservatives more Republican or are they Democrats, etc etc.